Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'm back . . . I couldn't stay away.

















So I figured I would steal this time again (missed lunch, now missing dinner) to try to get more of my pics up so that I don't get overloaded with more to share and less opportunities to make it happen. Here are pics from our hotel room in Phnom Penh, the National Museum, the road to the boat cruise, the boat cruise, and afterwards. Here are also some of the bus ride to Kampong Chnang District Town, and time in the town. I think there's one of the group in a restaurant, one of my guest room (shared), one of the crazy bugs that gather near lights at night.

Some interesting happenings from today: one of the Trainees has decided to go home, and I tried a Durian candy. I actually liked it though it had a strong aftertaste of onion. 

Um, what else? I learned to make a lesson plan, and got more training in the Khmer (pronounced K-mai) language. Ne goo ai? (What is this?), Ne goo bao-bao? (This is rice porridge.) Neak nyom drrrai? (Do you like to eat fish?) Khnyom nyom drrai na? (I like eating fish very much.) 

Chom reap lea (goodbye) . . . for now. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ash! wow. i cant believe you are actually there! good job on the new phrases and thanks for sharing the photos. hope your experience with your host family is wonderful. much love to you!

Unknown said...

Ashley my dearest! So glad to get your photos and comments. They are priceless. Isn't Asia insane? Sometimes I forget how crazy it is, then I am reminded. Like your boat story. That is so classic, girl, and I can't tell you how many times things like that have happened to me and Chuck. Glad you like the food, it is astoundingly delicious, is it not? Khmai, eh?! Now I'm saying it correctly. How do you say Phnom Pehn?? xoxo - Meliss